For the past 10 centuries, the wines of Aÿ have
been ranked among the greatest in the world.
Many kings and even a pope, were eager to own vines and a wine press
The wine presses belonging to Francois 1st and Henry 4th bear witness
to this. The latter was also known as the Lord of Aÿ.
From the beginning of the 16th century, Aÿ was
the only wine of controlled origin accredited and used for champagne-making.
At the end of the 17th century, a fortunate coincidence led to the
discovery of the method involved in the production of sparkling champagne.
It was the village of Aÿ, together with the quality of its
wines and the business acumen of the bourgeoisie, that this innovation
rapidly won renown and, as might expected, became known as the ‘Wine
Champagne retained this distinguished appellation until 1887 when
the legal term of ‘Appellation Champagne’ was established.
Today, only 17 are ranked as ‘Grand Cru’ out
of a total of 323 crus.
Aÿ is situated in the geographical, qualitative and historical
heart of Champagne and its wines play an essential part in the blending
of the most celebrated cuvées.